Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Adding some PBW (Powershares Wilderhill Clean Energy ETF)

My post over the weekend outlined my concern with the durability of the recent bottom due to a broad sell-off in commodities and materials related stocks. Their recovery so far this week is cementing the notion that we have made an interim bottom (perhaps of several months in duration?). I'm still skeptic regarding the financials as a whole although the best of breed probably deserves some more attention.

I added to my agricultural and base metal positions Monday and to my existing position in PBW (Powershares clean energy ETF) today. I've been wanting to add some beaten-down solar energy stocks but haven't yet done the homework in this sector. PBW has most of the major solar companies among its holdings and will serve as a core position in my portfolio. Its chart features a nice double bottom at $18.50. The downtrend line was just broken, shortly after demonstrating positive divergence.