Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A baboon's behind

That's what my portfolio looked like today. (Links to Yahoo Quote of most stocks and mutual funds in my portfolio were added to the right sidebar.) No matter how much a market decline is expected, one is never quite prepared for a hard down day. The two base metal miners purchased recently, BHP Billiton (BHP) and Inco (N), were among the few bright spots, as were the short position in Beazer (BZH) and the bear market fund URPIX.

Dispite daily new highs in gold and silver spot prices, the HUI has stubbornly refused to decisively break the 350 level, while the RSI and MACD are showing worrying divergences. A double top seems to be in place. Needless to say, I'm taking no action here. On the other hand, oil and other commodities are still holding up, even though I'm not sure how long it will last. My oil/gas stocks didn't do that well today either, but they are definitely healthier than their PM brethren.

I took the oppotunity to trim the position in my employer: sold around 20% today. The limit buy order for MTU is still outstanding. For now, this market action looks to be the start of an intermediate term correction. Even that talk may be premature. Flexibility and caution remain order of the day and I will post again if my view changes.